Sunday, October 9, 2011

Calling.

This week has slapped me in the face.

But some really good things have come out of it.

Like, for instance, God and I had a little heart-to-heart this afternoon. I got really bored, so I threw on my tennis shoes and went for a little walk. Side note: I walked for 2 1/2 miles, and by the time I got home, I was sweatin'. I keep a pretty good pace. Anyways, I was noticing the bright blue skies and the colors of the trees, and then I started thinking. *insert appropriate response*. I heard I quote the other day that said, "The need is not the call." Ouch. I spent hours last night trying to dissect it and decide if I agree with it or not. I think I do. Obviously we can always meet a persons basic needs. Love, food, clothing, etc. But the need for something is not God's call on our life to do that something. You are uniquely gifted by God. The key is finding out what you were creating uniquely to do, and that's what you pour out of yourself. If you're operating within your gifts, you will feel energized, not empty. There will always be the need to do something, but there will never be the call to do everything. I have really struggled with this area of my life for the past few months. What am I called to do? The Lord says I am to love others. Everyone loves in a different way. To me, a calling is the unique way that God calls you to love others. I'm still figuring out what that unique way is.

"I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, entreat you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance (endure with) to one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:1-3

If you're struggling with God's calling on your life, start with the basics. If you follow these verses and are open to God using you, He will make His way shown.

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." -Jeremiah 29:11.

No comments: