Friday, December 9, 2011

Daniel: Worship

Saturday morning we had our first student session. The student sessions were incredible, and God really spoke through them. I've seen God working in the lives of these students for months now, and I'm so excited that they got to share about what God is doing.

I thought it would be a good idea to give you guys a little background info on the students I'll be talking about for the next few days. That way maybe you can relate to them a little better.

Daniel: Daniel is a senior at a private school in Springfield. I've known him for about three or four years now, and he's one of the smartest kids I know. Seriously, the guy's a genius. He also has a wicked sense of humor. I don't even bother arguing with him, because I know it's pointless. He plays the guitar, sings, and music is his thing. Daniel loves to worship, and it shows.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but instead be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to attest and prove what God's will is: His good, pleasing, and perfect will." -Romans 12:2

This verse sounds great right? It sounds like your typical, inspirational Bible verse. It starts off telling you what to do, and ends by telling you what will happen as a result. Well, get ready for a shock. When this refers to "His good, pleasing, and perfect will", it's not talking about the good being for us. What? If you're like me, you're really confused right now. When Daniel said this, I was thrown for a loop. If it's not going to be good for us, then how can it be good at all? The adjectives in this verse are describing GOD'S will, not ours. If we are not walking with Him, His will is going to seem like it sucks. Big time. But, if we are walking with Him, and our hearts are aligned with His, His will is going to be great for us, because it's great for Him. Get it?

Now let's talk about worship a little bit. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of the word 'worship'? It probably has something to do with music, so let's talk about that part first.

"Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!" -Psalm 95:1-2

Worshipping through music is one of my favorite things to do, if not my absolute favorite. When it's just me and my Savior, and I'm pouring my heart out through song, that's when I feel closest to Him.

I used to be so embarrassed to lift my hands in worship. The thought of doing that rarely crossed my mind, and when it did, I shut it down immediately. What if people stared at me? What if they thought I was weird? Now, I don't think you could tear me out of a worship session if the building was on fire. I'm not ashamed to lift my hands to the heavens and proclaim that He has won. I've never felt the spirit of God like I did this weekend when we were worshipping.

Now, believe it or not, there is more to worship than just singing or making music. You can worship Him in anything and everything you do. Prayer, especially, is a huge form of worship. If singing isn't your thing, pray. If praying isn't your thing (it should be), worship God with a grateful heart and attitude.

Worship is a vital part of faith. Don't be ashamed to lift your hands or pray out loud. Whatever you do, do for the Lord, and you will be worshipping Him.

No comments: