Sunday, May 8, 2011

Saturday surgery.

      Hello friends! Sorry I haven't updated lately. Things have been pretty hectic around here! Let's start with a recap of my week before I get to the real kicker.

Monday: boring.
Tuesday: Co-op performance day!
Wednesday: fun (and cake) filled day at the office.
Thursday: dad had a doctor appointment. His blood platelets are supposed to be between 130-240. His are at 7.
Friday: dad had an appt. with a hematologist. They scheduled him for 6 hours of transfusion Sat. and Sun.
That night my stomach started hurting. I thought I was hungry or (excuse my bluntness) constipated so I ate and then went to bed.


          And then came Saturday. I woke up and had awful pain in the right side of my stomach. Being the self-diagnoser that I am, I googled 'symptoms of appendicitis'. Pain in the right side: check. Pain when pressure is applied: check. Loss of appetite: check. So I caught my parents before they left for the transfusion center and told them what I thought was wrong. So after dropping my dad of, my mom and I went over to Urgent Care. Ick. Since I'm not legally an adult, I got to go to the pediatric clinic with every other screaming child on the planet. After talking to the doctor he ordered a CT Scan. Not fun. So before I could get a CT Scan, I needed an IV. My nurse was three days older than dirt and stabbed me three times with no luck. OUCH. So she brought in another lady who got it in the first try. After drinking 32 oz of iodine water and sitting for an hour, I was off for the CT Scan. After being slid back and forth a few times, the nurse came in. She gave me this medicine through my IV and stated, "This will make you feel hot and like you're peeing the bed." Yep, it did. I finished with that and went back to the UC room. Fifteen minutes later the doctor came in. "I have good news and bad news. The good news is I know what's wrong with you. The bad news is that it has to come out." Appendicitis was the official diagnosis. So I was immediately wheeled back to the Operating Room holding room. I chatted with my nurses and anesthesiologist before I passed out because of some medicine. The next time I woke up was when I was being wheeled toward the Operating Room. They gave me an oxygen mask and told me to breathe deeply. The next thing I knew, I was in recovery. I was so groggy when I woke up, that I couldn't open my eyes, but I could hear everything going on around me. After about an hour in recovery, I was in my own hospital room. Keep in mind that by this point, I haven't had anything to eat in about 19 hours, so I was SO hungry. I was allowed Jello from the snack room, and had that scarfed down within 5 minutes. They were supposed to release me about 9-ish, but I was still experiencing some pretty bad pain. So when that subsided, I was released at around 12. My mom had to wake me up at 3 this morning to give me my pain pills, but other than that I slept like a rock last night. The stress of the day combined with the pain pills really knocked me out. I am still in some pain, but it's not as bad as it was last night. Plus, I have some pretty rockin' battle scars. That was my Saturday...what did you do with yours?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry you were sick, but so glad they got that nasty thing out of you! Can't wait to see pics! ;) Haha. Also, welcome to the club of awesome abdominal battle scars. You're in good company, if I do say so myself. ;) XOXO Heal quickly!!