Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homeschooling: The Real Deal

Let me preface this post by saying that I am not anti-public school NOR am I anti-homeschooling. I firmly believe it is whatever works best for your family.

This is my 8th year of being home schooled. We started homeschooling in 3rd grade, and never looked back. There was no extremely awful school situation which caused my parents to make the decision to home school me. In fact, I loved my school. I had great teachers, and my principle was an awesome guy. However, I had been begging my parents to pull me out of school for a while, because, quite frankly, I was bored. * I am not trying to toot my own horn here, just giving you the facts* I finished my work before everyone else, homework wasn't a challenge, and I got good grades. In 2nd grade my parents made the executive decision to put me in W.I.N.G.S., the gifted program for our area. It was one day a week, and focused on a higher level of learning. At 7 years old I was putting together multiple power-point programs a month, memorizing lines and writing skits, and solving simple algebraic problems. But that was only one day a week. The other four days I was doing an advanced math curriculum, but the school wouldn't let me skip a grade because I was at different levels in every subject.

The first year was hard. My brother wasn't in preschool yet, so my mom was trying to take care of him and teach me consecutively. At the same time, I was struggling because I didn't get to interact with my friends throughout the day. There were also things that I loved about homeschooling. I didn't have to be up at 6 a.m., I was finished by lunchtime, I wasn't forced to do P.E...just kidding. Kind of. After deciding that homeschooling was do more good than not, we planned on trying another year. And we are on year 8 of "trying another year".

Homeschooling does not mean your children are sheltered. If you choose to shelter them, then they will be sheltered, yes. I am 16 years old. I listen to secular music stations. I watch reality TV. I wear modern clothes. If I don't know a song, that isn't because I'm home schooled, it's because I choose not to listen to that music. If I don't dress like a slut, that's not because I'm home schooled, but because I choose not to dress like that. The only effect homeschooling has had on me is whether or not I go spend 8 hours in a building, or 2 at home. It doesn't affect my music choice, my clothing choice, my personality, or my beliefs.

That being said, I don't judge you for going to public school, so don't judge me for being home schooled.

It looks like year 8 is where it stops for me. This August I will officially be enrolled as a junior at Nixa High School. Am I excited? Absolutely. Am I terrified? Duh. But I am ready for a change, and I believe this is the change I've been looking for.

If you've made it all the way through this, congratulations! Have a great week, and be blessed!

1 comment:

Kari said...

Great post Emilee! I didn't know some of that information! I am so excited for your new adventure smarty pants! :-) Oh, and if I could I would homeschool because I DO want to shelter my boys. Nothing wrong with that in my book! Ha!