Monday, June 6, 2011

Pre-Houston Post.

             Hello hello! As you may know, my youth group is taking a mission trip to Houston, Texas. Tomorrow morning, at 8 am, we will be pulling out of RBC and hitting the road (for sixteen hours!). To entertain me and my bus buddy (the lovely Katie H.), I took the liberty of buying us..............A COLORING BOOK! And not just any coloring book, but a Care Bears coloring book.

Here's a list of what my carry-on contains:


-  coloring book
-  package of crayons
-  two bags of chips
- a pack of twizzlers
- my ipod
- two books
- a notebook
- pack of gum
- hair ties
- batteries


         I'm hoping between that, movies, and sleep, we can occupy ourselves for the bus ride. We will arrive around midnight, shower, and then head straight to bed. Wednesday we are taking a Hindu prayer walk, apartment ministry, and homeless outreach. Thursday we are visiting a Buddhist temple, more apartment ministry, and then more homeless outreach. Friday we are touring an Islamic Da'Wah, apartment ministry, and then an evening out at the Galleria. Saturday is our last full day there and we are handing out fliers for VBS and the finishing up our apartment ministry. Sunday we leave bright and early that morning. I'm really excited about the apartment ministry aspect of this trip. We will be hosting a day camp for the kids that live in the apartment complex. The kids will rotate through four stations: rec, music, crafts, and storytelling. I am a part of the crafts team (woot woot!). There are eight of us: seven girls and one guy. We have nicknamed ourselves Andy's Angels, in honor of our fearless male teammate. We tried to come up with some gender-neutral ideas so the boys wouldn't be stuck making sparkly crowns. After some deliberation, we decided to use paper airplanes for one of our crafts. We ended up throwing paper airplanes in the church parking lot for half an hour. Oh the fun we teenagers have! I'm really excited to see how God is going to use our team over these next six days. I know His plan is so different then the one we have for ourselves, and I'm excited to see how much better it's going to be!


       Please pray for:

- unity as a team
- flexibility
- patience
- safety
- good sleep

       
          I look forward to updating you guys when we get back! Until then, my friends. :)

No comments: